Friday, October 14, 2011

Mommy cliques

Last fall when Maggie was about eight or nine months old we started signing her up for a few activities. Our budget doesn't have room for lots of mommy and me classes, but we go to the story hour at the local library and to a playgroup at one of the local schools.
She enjoyed both activities so much that we decided to do them again this year and bring Lucy with us.
I enjoy the playgroup at the school, especially since it is a school where we are considering sending the girls in a few years. There are lots of toys for the kids to play with so you can never get bored (especially in the 90 minutes you're there).
The part that I don't like is that all the moms seem like they are already friends with each other and not willing to talk to other people. I think I am sensitive to it too because it seems obvious they all have so much more money than I do. I have a good job that pays well, but my husband was out of work for two years and just recently got a job. The problem is that his job is part-time and pays not much more than minimum wage. While we have enough money to survive, we don't have a lot of extra money for things like new clothes (especially for us!). The moms all have cute new clothes and their kids are all dressed in baby gap. Everyone has $700 strollers and they make plans to go out to lunch afterwards at the local restaurants.
My kids have cute clothes too, but they are usually from target. We still haven't gotten a double stroller because buying a house and maternity leave ate up our savings. I would love to go out to lunch, but we just can't afford it right now.
I wish there were more moms around us who were looking to make new friends. I'd love to hang out and just have playdates with other moms where we don't have to spend money and can just hang out.
Where are all the other broke moms looking for friends?!

No comments:

Post a Comment